S/4466 Antique Treen Late 17th Century or Early 18th Century Beech Pilgrim's Reliquary
An exceptional beech late 17th century or early 18th century pilgrim's reliquary, having a circular beech lid that is carved with a cross above a heart and bordered by flowers, which is fitted to the base that has a glass panel above an intricate interior comprising of small gilded paper scrolls surrounding the reliquary (a bone fragment), and three small inscribed partially illegible paper fragments, one which reads P, d'Anna. The whole is in excellent condition and is a rare and surviving piece of historical importance, that has a good colour and patination.
¾ in. (2 cm.) High
2 in. (5 cm.) Diameter Continental Circa 1680-1720