S/4644 Antique Treen 18th Century Walnut 30 Minute Sand Glass
An early 18th century walnut 30 minute sand glass, which is of traditional design, with two glass bulbs connected by a narrow neck, enclosed in a circular walnut cage with turned supports, of which one is square to act as a handle. It is attached to a circular platform at each end and the bulbs, made in two sections, are joined by a thin lead washer, with a carefully gauged central hole, then puttied and bound by linen or thread. From the mid 18th century onwards the bulbs were made as a whole. Sand glasses were used in convents until circa 1900, till watches were permitted. They were also used in the Royal Navy till circa 1839, hence the cord for hanging, and on pulpits for church sermons etc. Times varied from three minutes for small egg timers through to quarter, half hourly and hourly times for other various uses, until watches and clocks gradually superseded them, (see Pinto pages 279-280). This is an excellent example with incised ring turnings on the top and base, and has a good rich dark colour and patination.
7 in. (18 cm.) High
3½ in. (9 cm.) Diameter English Circa 1720