S/4835 Antique Treen 19th Century Large 10 Minute Sand Glass
A large early 19th century 10 minute sand glass of important proportions, which is of traditional design, with two glass bulbs connected by a narrow neck, enclosed in a circular oak cage with turned pitch pine supports, of which one has been replaced at a later date. It is attached to a circular platform at each end and the bulb is made in a single section, with a carefully gauged central hole. From the mid 18th century onwards the bulbs were made as a whole. Sand glasses were used in convents until circa 1900, till watches were permitted. They were also used in the Royal Navy till circa 1839 and on pulpits for church sermons etc. Times varied from three minutes for small egg timers through to quarter, half hourly and hourly times for other various uses, until watches and clocks gradually superseded them, (see Pinto pages 279-280). This is an excellent example and has a good rich colour and patination.
8¾ in. (22 cm.) High
5 in. (12.5 cm.) Diameter English Circa 1820